How To Earn When You’re A Stay-At-Home Mom?
Do you want to start a mom blog but you’re hesitating because you’re not sure if mom blogs make money? I understand your reluctance.
Being a mother brings so many responsibilities in itself. Your day is more than likely packed with things to keep you busy. You wouldn’t want to waste time and energy on something that won’t have good results.
Despite the hesitation though, do you have the nagging thought of wanting to earn through blogging? What a predicament to be into, right?
The thing is, deep down, you knew that it’s possible to earn some serious cash for your family through a mom blog. You just have to know how to do it, and this article will answer that for you.
How Stay-At-Home Moms Can Make Money Blogging?
With the advances in technology, starting a mom blog these days is easy. However, making money from it will require you to take the right steps. If you haven’t figured what to do yet, here are some easy ways to set up your mom blog to make money.
Start Affiliate Marketing
The first money-making way you can try your hands on the moment you start a mom blog is affiliate marketing. To put it simply, you’ll be using your blog to promote other businesses’ products. You’ll earn a commission every time someone clicks your affiliate link and buys a product.
Since you have a mom blog, there are tons of products for moms and kids that you can promote on your blog. You only need to sign up first to be an affiliate marketer of the business that sells the product you wish to promote. After that, you can start creating content about these products and then promote the content on other platforms.
Offer a Service
If your mom blog is still new, you won’t have a big audience yet or enough page views. However, it’s still possible to earn through your blog by offering your service. Follow these steps if you want to earn by providing services to others.
1. Figure out the service you want to offer. Do you want to get paid from writing? Offer a freelance writing service. If you have good hearing acuity and attention to detail, you can be a transcriptionist. You can also be a proofreader, a graphic designer, a video editor, an online music teacher, and more. You just need to figure out what you’re good at and what you enjoy doing the most.
2. Put up a ‘Hire Me’ page on your blog. Let visitors know about the service/s you’re offering. It’s also best to put the price of your service so people will know that right away.
3. Create a strong brand. By strong brand, I don’t just mean an eye-catching logo. It’s building your reputation in a way that you’ll be remembered positively by people. Leadership expert Simon Sinek says, “People don’t buy what you do. They buy why you do it.” Know why you do the things you do and be able to convey it through your brand.
4. Network with prospects or customers on Facebook. Don’t wait for your prospects to discover you. Find them on Facebook and other social media platforms, and let them be aware you exist.
Create Digital Products
One of the best ways to have a steady stream of income from your mom blog is through selling digital products.
These are the steps you can take to create a successful digital product like ebooks or online courses that sells.
- Create an outline of lessons/topics.
- Create slides/PDFs.
- Start an email list.
- Alert your audience of future products 3 weeks to 1 month before launching.
- Do guest posting and podcasting before launching a product.
- Deliver product.
How to Make Money Blogging with Sponsored Posts?
A sponsored post is a post on your blog that contains a link directing to another website’s landing page. The said website will pay you for that one particular post on your blog. Mom blogs can make money this way too.
However, you won’t be able to do it when you’re only a beginner. You must make your mom blog an authority website first. Other website owners deem a blogger authoritative if he/she has the following:
- A website that is aesthetically pleasing, easy to read, and navigable.
- A website with high domain authority.
- Large social media following.
- A website that has high traffic.
- A website that advertises other authoritative sites.
If you want to make money through sponsored ads, you need to set up your blog in a way that website owners will want to pay you for promoting their site on your blog.
How Bloggers Make Money with Ads?
Bloggers who manage to gain enough following make use of advertisements to make money. They monetize their blogs through CPC, CPM, or Private Ads.
Monetizing with CPC or CPM Ads
- CPC/PPC Ads. Cost per click (also called pay per click) ads are banners containing advertisements that you place in your content or sidebar. Each time a reader clicks on the ad, you are paid for that click.
- CPM Ads. CPM stands for cost per 1,000 impressions. These are ads that get paid a fixed amount for every 1,000 viewers of the ads.
Selling Private Ads
Selling private advertisements gives you more freedom to manage ads on your website. With this type of advertisement, you aren’t paid a commission but by the ad space on your website. You can place an announcement on your site that you’re selling ad space or contact businesses yourself. Either way, you’ll earn more from ads this way because you eliminate the middleman and transact directly with companies.
Who Is The Highest Paid Blogger?
The highest-paid blogger to date is Tim Sykes. He sells DVD courses that teach people how to sell penny stocks and trades. He is said to be making roughly $1,000,000+ per month. Yes, you read that right. That’s a 7-figure income by a blogger in just a month!
I know, he’s not a mom blogger, but his success can be an inspiration.
As for mom blogs, Rosemarie Groner reportedly makes $86,000+ a month. This busy mom shares budget tips, dinner ideas, and everything about motherhood on her blog. A percentage of her income comes from ads, affiliates, and sponsored posts. The bigger share comes from selling her own products on her blog.
Another stay-at-home mama who succeeds in making money from her blog is Sarah Titus. She is said to be earning $200,000+ a month. She blogs about everything mom-related and helps fellow moms to earn money even when at home. Her income comes from affiliate marketing and from her online store where she sells printables.
How to Start a Mom Blog?
Now that you have an idea of how to make money through mom blogs, I hope your doubts about setting up one have disappeared. At the very least, it should have lessened considerably. If so, your only question now must be how to start a mom blog. To answer that, here are 4 simple steps to get you started.
Figure out your niche
A niche is a topic you will focus on writing about on your mom blog. So, it’s the first thing you need to figure out. Motherhood is too broad a topic to cover. You need to narrow down and be very specific with your niche. That way, you’ll be able to focus your effort on becoming famous in your chosen niche. This will ultimately bring in more money into your pocket.
Choose a domain name
Once you’ve figured out the niche of your blog, the next step is to choose a domain name. Choose one that will best describe your blog. Make sure that it’s unique but one that can be easily remembered.
Choose a blogging platform like WordPress
For your mom blog to be out on the net, you need a platform that will house your content. WordPress is one of the best blogging platforms you can choose. It’s easy to use, and you’ll have full control of your blog. Because of that, you’ll also be able to monetize your blog the way you want it.
Start blog with Bluehost
Lastly, you’ll need a hosting site. If you choose WordPress as a blogging platform, your best option for a hosting site is Bluehost. WordPress recommends it themselves, and it offers WordPress installation in just one click. It’s user friendly, and you’ll be able to set up your blog on your own.
It also comes with a free domain name for a year and a free SSL certificate. You’ll get real value for your money. Your mom blog will be up and running smoothly in no time. You can start filling it with content that attracts traffic.
The Bottom Line
Empowered women who chose to become stay-at-home moms still want to help with the family’s finances. If you’re reading this article, you’re one of those empowered stay-at-home mamas. You always find ways to earn without leaving home, and you’re considering mom blogs as a means to make money.
So, don’t let the uncertainties prevent you from starting. Alexander Graham Bell said, “The only difference between success and failure is the ability to take action.” The mom blog you’re planning out now might just be the most successful one in years to come. You’ll never know if you don’t give it a shot.